Assistant ProfessorCollege of Information and Computer SciencesUniversity of Massachusetts Amherst140 Governors Drive, Amherst, MA 01003Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
I co-direct the Laboratory for Mobile Sensing and Ubiquitous Computing (MOSAIC Lab) at UMass. My research focuses on design and development of the next generation mobile health sensing technologies that (1) capture observable low-level physical signals from our bodies and surrounding environments in the form of acoustic and electromagnetic waves, (2) map them to relevant biological and behavioral measurements, (3) run all the necessary computation in low power and resource settings. My research interest lies in the intersection of Mobile and Ubiquitous Computing, Signal Processing, Applied Machine Learning, Health and Behavior Modeling.
I received my Ph.D. in Information Science from Cornell University in 2017, M.S. in Electrical Engineering from the University of Texas at Dallas in 2012, and B.S. in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology in 2009.
- [April 2020] Thrilled to talk about FluSense in an interview with the Public Television for Western New England (WGBY). Link
- [April 2020] FluSense received an alomost world-wide press coverage. Techcrunch, UMass, Daily Mail (UK), Science Daily, Hindustan Times (India), Science Node, Digital Trends, Masslive, Photonics, ibitimes (Singapore). Full List
- [January 2020] New IMWUT/Ubicomp 2020 Paper "FluSense: A Contactless Syndromic Surveillance Platform for Influenza-Like Illness in Hospital Waiting Areas". This is our first paper in the new space of digital epidemiology. This will be a major thrust of our research going forward. The paper is going through camera-ready process and can be made available upon request.
- [September 2019] Excited to teach a new course CICS 290M: Make at UMass.
- [August 2019] MOSAIC lab website is live now. http://mosaic.cs.umass.edu
- [April 2019] Serving as a Poster, Video and Demo Chair of Ubicomp 2019.
- [April 2019] New IMWUT/Ubicomp 2019 Paper "NOSE: A Novel Odor Sensing Engine for Ambient Monitoring of the Frying Cooking Method in Kitchen Environments"
- [April 2019] Congrats Bhanu for the new IMWUT/Ubicomp 2019 Paper "On-body Sensing of Cocaine Craving, Euphoria and Drug-Seeking Behavior using Cardiac and Respiratory Signals".
- [April 2019] New CVPR 2019 Workshop paper on "Pedestrian Detection in Thermal Images using Saliency Maps".
- [March 2019] TPC at WearSys 2019
- [Feb 2019] Thrilled to start the Laboratory for Mobile Sensing and Ubiquitous Computing (MOSAIC) at UMass. I will be co-directing the lab with my colleague Deepak Ganesan. The Website will be available soon at mosaic.cs.umass.edu.
- [Jan 2019] New IMWUT/Ubicomp 2019 Paper "W!NCE: Unobtrusive Sensing of Upper Facial Action Units with EOG-based Eyewear."
- [Sep 2018] Serving as TPC chair at ICCCN 2019.
- [Aug 2018] NSF Future of Work-Human Technology Frontier grant proposal with colleagues at UMass, Rice and Cornell got accepted (Title: An Embodied Intelligent Cognitive Assistant to Enhance Cognitive Performance of Shift Workers, Role: Co-PI, Funding Amount: $627,907).
- [May 2018] Serving as a Technical Program Committee (TPC) member for ACM SenSys 2018 (Nov 4-7 Shenzhen China).
- [Feb 2018] Offering a new course in CICS UMass, CMPSCI 590U: Mobile and Ubiquitous Computing.
- [Jan 2018] Excited to join UMass CICS as a tenure-track assistant professor.
- [Oct 2017] Successfully defended my Ph.D. Thanks to my Ph.D. committee members Tanzeem Choudhury (Chair), Deborah Estrin, Malte Jung, David Erickson.
- [June 2017] Successfully co-chaired the 1st ACM Workshop on Digital Biomarkers 2017 (Collocated with MobiSys 2017) in Niagara Falls, NY.
- [May 2017] Accepted a tenure-track assistant professor position at UMass CICS.
- [Nov 2016] Our work on Photoacoustic Effect got accepted in SenSys 2016. Look forward to presenting the paper in Stanford, CA (Nov 15th, 9:00am).
- [April 2016] Received the Best Paper Award from Digital Health 2016 (collocated with WWW 2016) in Montreal, Canada.
- [March 2016] Honored to receive the Google PhD Fellowship 2016 in Mobile Computing.
- [Oct 2015] Presented DoppleSleep at Google Mobile Faculty Summit.
- [July 2015] DoppleSleep paper got Honorable Mention Award (top 5%) in Ubicomp 2015. It was covered by MIT Technology Review. We will present the paper in Osaka, Japan.
- [August 2015] Had a phenomenal experience during the summer internship at Microsoft Research with the VIBE group (May 26th 2015 to August 14th 2015).
- [May 2015] Honored to receive the Outstanding Teaching Award 2015 from Information Science, Cornell University.
- [March 2015] Got selected as finalist in Qualcomm Innovation Fellowship Challenge. We will present our idea on March 24th-25th 2015 at Qualcomm Research in San Diego.
- [Oct 2014] Really excited to demo BodyBeat to Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates.
- [July 2014] BodyBeat is featured in the Wall Street Journal, NewScientist and MIT Technology Review.